6/20/08

Happy Father's Day... and why I am the way I am...


If you subscribe to my monthly newsletter, you will recognize this photo of me and my dad from the June issue...

Happy Father's Day, 2008
A few months ago I told you about how my mom was the inspiration for the look of my first jewelry collection. Well, if my mom inspired my heart, then my dad definitely inspired my hands. He built a workshop in our basement when I was little where I was always welcome. Looking back, I bet he was a little surprised at my interest in building... my older brother was the more obvious candidate for "workshop assistant", but he didn't show much of an interest. My dad and I spent months building my dollhouse - it was three stories with full electricity (and later, an "east wing addition"). The great thing about my dad is that he would have taken an interest in any activity that I chose whether it was something he liked or not. It just so happens that we have been able to bond over our love of tools, hardware store, and working with our hands. Thanks to him, I discovered this interest very early on in life. Maybe I'll have a daughter one day that I can give that dollhouse too... and maybe she and grandpa will add a west wing. But if she just wants to rearrange the furniture and dress the dolls with grandma, that's fine too.

Click here to view the newsletter archives or become a subscriber. Click here to read about my mom!

No comments: